June 23, 2012

Ariel Birthday for a special girl

My eldest daughter is turning 4 soon. But 5 weeks and 1 day prior to her birthday, is her very first friend has a birthday.
This year, I got to make her birthday cake:)


My girlfriend asked me to make the cake. Something princessy, but nothing fancy. Then her daughter found a picture of Ariel on a cake and decided that was what she wanted. So I took that and ran with it.

We decided to stick to buttercream since it would be mainly kids eating it... Ok, my girlfriend hates fondant..I was actually happy about it because most of my cakes this month have all been fondant. I enjoy it, but I do like working with buttercream too!

So we stayed simple. Chocolate and Vanilla cakes, Pudding for a filling, and a buttercream icing. Fondant made it into the decorations, and an Ariel bath toy made the perfect topper. All of the girls loved the cake and were "ooohing and ahhing" prior to cutting it up. I was happy to see the enjoyment on their faces:)


The buttercream was done by mixing blue icing with white and spreading it on. I had to work in a single layer and once the icing went on, there was hardly any movement for change. I wanted it to look a little more like the Ocean rather than the sky, but that was my own fault for not darkening the blue color more. Probably for the best since almost everyone got blue tongues!

It was a fun cake to do. And I got to play around with one of my new Fondant and Gum Paste Molds from Wilton!

Happy Birthday Emma!

No comments:

Post a Comment