June 26, 2010

A Weekend of Birthdays

This weekend I had two birthday cakes to do. I was really looking forward to doing these as they were for two - two year old's special days.

First up was for Miss Natalie. Natalie and her family are in town for a few weeks on vacation. They actually live in Hong Kong, but Calgary is their "home base" so to speak. Natalie is a Sesame Street fan, so her mother wanted a simply done Sesame Street cake. I had a lot of fun making this one! I sure hope Natalie had fun eating it!

The cakes were a chocolate cake, with buttercream filling on the bottom, and a french vanilla with buttercream on the top. The cake is iced in buttercream with fondant accents, and a fondant "Sesame Street sign" The figurines were plastic. I unfortunately do not have the skills to sculpt characters!



Happy Birthday Natalie!!!


My next cake was for Graham. Over the last year Graham and his mother have become friends to my daughter and I. We have had great fun watching the kids grow up considering they are only 4 days apart. Graham's birthday was being held a month early this year to account for missing family and friends unable to attend at the end of July. And Graham is a HUGE Thomas the train fan. 


Graham's cake was simple. His mother wanted this specific "train cake" pan which contained 9 individual train cars, basically the equivalent to a cupcake size. The engine was to be one up like Thomas. Well it took a while to actually find the pan, as neither one of us really wanted to pay $45 for it! Thankfully another Mommy friend had the pan and offered it up. (Thanks Fi!)


So to make Graham's Thomas car special, we decided to make the cake batter Thomas "rainbow" colors. So like my previous rainbow cake, I split the batter up into three colors - red, blue and yellow. Thomas was a rainbow of all three, whereas the rest of the train cars and cupcakes (for the adults) were just red, blue and yellow. So hopefully the Birthday Boy will have a nice surprise when he eats his cake!


I apologize for the look of my photos for these. Unfortunately I have a pretty simple camera and the reflection off of the base was too much to handle! But you get the idea.




Happy Birthday Graham!

No comments:

Post a Comment