June 17, 2009

Homework- I thought I was done with this??

I managed to find time this week to get my flowers made for tonights class. We had to choose between making a clown cake, or one with a bunch of flowers. Laura told us the clown cake was much easier, then the flowers time consuming.
Since clowns scare me "Can't sleep, clowns will eat me" I decided to challenge myself and make the flowers.

To be honest, it wasn't that hard. I did a few practice flowers over the weekend and figured out how to do it, then spent Monday night making my flowers. Some of them are pretty good, some of them I'm sure a 3rd grader could do a better job. But needless to say I will have enough for my cake.

Now this is not all of my flowers. I had to make about 100 of them, but you get the idea. I decided to make a pale pink cake with these purple and pink flowers. I realized after I made my choice that my husband would be taking this cake to work. Not exactly a "manly" cake.. oh well, men will eat anything, right?

This time around I decided to make a "real" buttercream icing, and not the shortening crap the instructor preferred us to make. Now I know why she probably wanted us to stick with shortening. I have a much harder time not wanting to lick the bowl with the real stuff!! Damn I make good icing!!

Doesn't this look much better?
Well, not really. I guess they all look the same. But I assure you, this one tastes way better!

And my iced cake, ready to go for tonight's class.
This cake is a remake of my chocolate cake I screwed up last week. I made sure this time the cake was cooked fully, and I must say it smells really good. The filling is a chocolate pudding with a blueberry cherry jam.

As this is only my second cake icing it "correctly" instead of using that jarred Betty Crocker stuff, I am fully enjoying doing this. I have already thought ahead about making a cake this weekend for my Husband's work BBQ, and possibly making a cake for Father's Day on Sunday.

We'll see how much time I have left in the coming days. My Daughter like to take all of my time, which I definitely don't mind!
Im excited to learn how to make faces tonight, and the dreaded clown. I don't know if I will ever use the clown, but I can see the potential it might have if I decide to make this hobby a side business.
Of course, I love to get ahead of myself. Two classes and I think I'm Martha Stewart!!




No comments:

Post a Comment